Yesterday on my way to the bus stop, minding my own business, plugged in to my ipod, and walking fast because I was late as usual, I suddenly notice an old lady at the corner saying something to me. I looked at her, she repeated it, I couldn’t hear so I took an ear piece off and she said “Help me cross the street!” I said “what?”, she repeated “Help me cross the street!” She had this annoyed look in her face, nothing seemed to be wrong with her, I didn’t understand why she was DEMANDING that I help her cross the street in the opposite direction in which I was going. I looked at her, looked at the light and said “you don’t have a light to cross”, she yelled again “Help me cross the street!”. I started thinking of Burundanga and all the “tricks” that con-artists use to mug people and suddenly another lady comes and asks her what she wants, she says again “Help me cross the street!” and this lady smiles and says sure, she grabs her and starts helping her cross. I was thinking “well there you go” and started turning away and pluggin in again, when the old lady turns around and looks at me and says “Fuck you!”. I looked at her in utter disbelief, smiled and said “God bless you”, while thinking “I’m so glad I didn’t help that witch!”. My bus came by just at that moment so I ran for it, but I couldn’t believe the nerve of this lady demanding help, never saying please, and then getting upset for not receiving what she was demanding from a total stranger.
It got me thinking though. Is being a good Samaritan helping anyone, with any tone of disrespect? Are old people, just because they are old, entitled to whatever they want whenever they want it, from whomever? I am glad I didn’t help her, I was late, I would have missed my bus, but mostly because she was RUDE and rudeness should not be encouraged no matter how old you are!
- I'm at DePaul College of Education - @dpucoeadvising in Chicago, IL swarmapp.com/c/kTxe2YlXirs 1 day ago
- At the Tea with Louise event! #DWN #DePaul (@ DePaul - John R. Cortelyou Commons - @depaulu in Chicago, IL) swarmapp.com/c/awrinmjm8Oq 1 day ago
- I'm at De Paul University in 海外, IL swarmapp.com/c/gNGsWWwAhEA 1 day ago
- I'm at DePaul University Concert Hall - @depaulu in Chicago, IL swarmapp.com/c/bfodjGkvB7T 1 day ago
- I'm at DePaul University School of Music in Chicago, IL swarmapp.com/c/3OeFPmBPUWp 1 day ago
- 21,414 hits